Sweet Tea & Busy Bees Collage

Sweet Tea & Busy Bees Collage

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Eggcellent day

Since we have been spending so much time checking on our little mama chicken sitting on her eggs, I decided we should do some activities today involving nests and eggs.

Building number sense with eggs:

" Batman" and I have been working on one to one correspondence with his counting as well as number recognition. I found some great bird's nests on clearance at AC Moore and picked them up because they were just too good to pass up! I set up the bird's nests with numbers next to each nest and a bowl of mini robin's eggs to sort. 

"Batman" counting out his eggs
 
After "Batman" did his counting in order, I switched all the numbers so he wasn't able to just count them off in order. We also practiced adding and taking away eggs and discussing the new number. He had a great time and of course it didn't hurt that I let him sneak a few eggs. I love this activity because it can be adapted for any age level. Little ones can practice their fine motor skills by simply putting the eggs in the nest and older kids can count by 2's, add, subtract, multiply, the possibilities are endless!

Happy egg counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment