Sweet Tea & Busy Bees Collage

Sweet Tea & Busy Bees Collage

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Farm Life: Boots Required


We did not plan on having a farm, in fact I am one of the most non-farm people you might meet...well ya know, until recently. Now that we have our animals and are adding to our little farm bit by bit, I wouldn't have it any other way. Almost everyday someone asks me; why? Simplicity, that's why. No cell phone is going to feed my chickens, and there is no app to hose down the alpacas when they get hot. You actually have to go outside and spend time with the animals.

It takes a family to raise a farm, including a mini farm. When livestock is involved, so is everyone in the house, even "Strawberry Shortcake." This forces us to come together as a family and spend quality time together.

"Strawberry Shortcake" helping with the eggs

Everyday we have to go out together and get the eggs from the ducks and chickens. It's time we have scheduled everyday to get outside and notice nature and notice each other. I have always had a love for the past. Maybe that explains why I have no smartphone, I need to disconnect. The farm is a way for the family to disconnect together.


Picking up the morning eggs


We are starting to become accustomed to our new farming lifestyle like it has been a part of us forever. I still need to remind friends when they come over that if they want to go into the barn, boots are required!




No comments:

Post a Comment